When in Rome


There’s the old saying in English “when in Rome, do as the locals do”.
A simple definition would be: when visiting a foreign land, follow the customs of those who live in that land. It can also mean that when you are in an unfamiliar situation, you should follow the lead of those who know the ropes. (thanks Wikipedia!)  I have used this phrase in so many corners of the world where I have lived.  I have worn African liputas and learned how to drink super sweet strong milky tea in the Congo and Central African Republic.  I learned how to chew on cola nuts with the Fulani people. I have found delight in getting to know the public transportation systems in the cities where I have lived…Chicago, Minneapolis, Brussels, Antwerp.
Memories from Antwerp ~ sure do miss the trams!
It's so easy to get around on Malmö's public transportation

Translating train schedules

It's an easy train ride across the bridge in the distance and then you're in Copenhagen!
A less than happy biking memory from summer 2017

 And today I found myself using it again....the phrase....when in Rome...

When in Malmö, on a bright early spring day, when the daffodils are bursting out in full bloom and you need to go to school….hop on your bike, get some exercise, save your transportation budget funds, get some vitamin D, and do what everyone else in Malmö does without question or hesitation…ride your bike to school/work/play/the park/to pick up your kids!
 
So thankful for my new bike ~ and the blue skies!
Just do it!

Comments

Popular Posts